John K. Mulholland, M.D. Curriculum Vitae
See His Education, Awards, and Employment Experience
Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Bucknell University, Lewisburg, Pennsylvania. Spent five semesters pursuing a major in mechanical engineering and three pursuing a major in biology.
The Haverford School, Haverford, Pennsylvania
Awards and HonorsMedical College
- High honors in surgery 350, Dermatology 401, Radiology 401 and Advanced Basic Science clerkships.
- Member of the Hobart Amory Hare Medical Honor Society.
- USMLE Step l Score: 246, Step ll Score: 238, Step lll Score: 216
- Dean's List (GPA of at least 3.5/4.0) for the three semesters during which a BA in Biology was completed.
Research and Employment
Associate Dermatologist with Drs. Cirillo-Hyland and Cornelius in Bryn Mawr, PA.
Associate Dermatologist with Andrew K. Pollack and Associates in Fort Washington, PA.
Dermatopathology Fellow at the University of California, Irvine under Ronald J. Barr, M.D.
Dermatology Resident at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Bringing the technology of state-of-the-art digital imaging to our department, including training residents and attending physicians on the use of both our SLR and non-SLR digital cameras, instruction on digital image processing using industry standard Adobe Photoshop software, developing a cost-effective method of projecting the digital imagery of both clinical and histopathological cases, and preparing and running the digital content of our yearly Philadelphia Dermatological Society Meeting two years running.
- Programming, developing, and maintaining our archive of digital clinical photographs using a cost effective but powerful relational database solution. The database can be searched for any data tagged to its assets and is growing quickly with currently approximately 6,000 archived images. The archive includes images of common and rare skin diseases, fungal cultures, and photomicrographs.
- Developing a method for and preparing a permanently mounted collection of mycological specimens for use in resident education.
- Collecting and archiving digital imagery of common human fungal pathogens and contaminants in culture.
- Mastery in the use of dermoscopy and instructing residents on its use, applications, and advantages.
Transitional intern at Presbyterian Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Four-week advanced basic science elective in the Dept. of Cutaneous Biology under Dr. Gabriela Richard, M.D. My project was to sequence a candidate gene for Hailey-Hailey disease.
Awarded a summer research internship in the Dept. of Surgery at Jefferson Medical College under Susan Jacoby, PhD. My project investigated the effect of ω-3 vs. ω-6 fatty acid based TPN on the course of E. Coli induced sepsis in rats.
Research technician in the research laboratory of the Bone Marrow Transplant Department at Jefferson Medical College under Neil Flomenberg, M.D. Projects included PCR amplification and sequencing of genes suspected for mutation in patient with SCID.
Summer jobs as technician in various research labs at Thomas Jefferson University.
Licensure and Certifications
- Unrestricted license to practice medicine and surgery in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- Diplomat of the American Board of Dermatology (2004)
- Diplomat of the American Board of Dermatopathology (2005)
- Fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology
- Member of the American Medical Association
- Digital and film photography, computer science, mountain biking, skiing, swimming, gold, wildlife observation, and tropical marine invertebrate aquariums.